Hilltop Neighborhoods – Rich in their history, their people, and their future!
An easy walk in the area known as the Hilltop Campus Village uncovers hidden treasures entwined in and around the budding business corridor. Neighborhoods bursting with rich history, diversity and interests invite you to learn, live and thrive in some of Davenport’s earliest neighborhoods.
Within its boundaries of Lombard Street to the north, 5th Street to the south, Perry Street to the east and Ripley Street to the west, lays several historical neighborhoods. Did you know that the 1840’s brought Davenport‘s original city plot which was located around current day Ripley and 5th Streets, where Antoine LeClaire built his house? Learn more about the people of the Hilltop Campus Village by reading and visiting the links that follow.
Historic Districts within the Central and near North Districts of the City of Davenport:
Cork Hill is located on a square mile of land east of the original town.  It was plotted by town founder Antoine LeClaire in the 1840s to 1880s, and housed the residence of LeClaire himself, his heirs, and Irish and transplanted American settlers. It contains densely built large- and medium-sized houses set close together as well as the Sacred Heart Cathedral. The houses are of the Italianate, Queen Anne cottage, Georgian, and Colonial Revival styles. 
See map of Cork Hill District: http://www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/egov/docs/1170951314_793121.pdf
College Square is located north of Downtown, from Tenth Street to Fifteenth Street and Brady Street to Harrison Street (U.S. Route 61). Two blocks of the neighborhood on Harrison Street contain mid-nineteenth century houses. Another two blocks are dedicated to large-scale education and religious buildings, including the Palmer Chiropractic College campus. Most of the houses in the neighborhood date from 1860 to the early twentieth century.  Harrison and Main streets have become more commercialized over the years, along with the east side of Brady Street, while the west side of Brady Street still contains mostly residential buildings. 
See map of College Square District: http://www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/egov/docs/1170951362_978424.pdf
Hamburg is located northwest of Downtown, covering Fifth Street to Ninth Street and Ripley Street to Vine Street. The neighborhood contains the most architecturally significant buildings of the old German neighborhoods. Hamburg slopes up to bluffs overlooking Downtown and the river. The neighborhood was a prime location for prominent Germans and contains mostly residential structures; there are very few commercial buildings or churches. The first dwellings were small single-story cottages modeled after the Greek Revival design. Other housing designs in the neighborhood include Victorian, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, and Queen Anne.
See map of Hamburg Historic District: http://www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/egov/docs/1170951602_862762.pdf
Vander Veer Park consists of houses surrounding Vander Veer Botanical Park and is bounded to the north by Central Park Avenue, to the east by Brady Street, to the south by Lombard Street, and to the west by Harrison Street. The houses were built between 1895 and 1915 and are Queen Anne– and Tudor Revival-styled. The neighborhood is anchored on the south by a church and outing club. The park, originally named Central Park after the New York City Park, was originally the site of the Scott County Fairgrounds.The park was later renamed Vander Veer in honor of an early Davenport park commissioner. Development of Vander Veer Park was the first major beautification effort outside of two small spaces in downtown.
See map of Historic Vander Veer Park: http://www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/egov/docs/1170951835_202484.pdf